Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Opossum with concussion in my bathtub

I was walking the dogs this evening when I spotted a confused opossum on the sidewalk ahead of us. Tied the excited dogs to a telephone pole and went to examine the poor juvenile opossum who let me walk right up . . .couldn't see any blood but suspect the critter had just been
grazed by a car. She turned in a little half-hearted spiral then just stopped and looked at me as if to say, "How has my life come to this?" If she'd her wits about her, she would have fled the minute she saw me and/or the dogs. Up to speed, an opossum can go at a fairly decent clip, about 4 miles per hour. Decided I couldn't leave her there. She was at the mercy of humans both in and out of cars. So took off my coat, bundled her up like a baby, held her in one arm, while I untied the dogs, took their leashes in my other hand and set off under the still-mighty-full-moon toward home, hoping that she stayed dazed long enough to forget about trying to bite me. Opossums have lots of sturdy teeth. Now she's in the bathtub with a small dish of wet cat foot and also water. If she survives the night, I'll take her up to the Center for the Wildlife in the morning. A doolally opossum's in the bathtub and all's right with the world.

2 comments:

  1. Wow--you know, I've heard oppossums make wonderful pets, as do skunks. There are a couple of women in our area who have 'em as pets. Sounds like she instantly trusted you--you are wonderful with animals. That is such a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came directly here after you left a comment at my place.
    You're a woman after my own heart.
    A nature lover, friend of all living things, someone doing the best she can.
    I've enjoyed my stay.
    Thanks so much for stopping by. I'll be keeping an eye on you and your lovely posts.

    ReplyDelete