Friday, June 19, 2009

Ashes to Petals

Last week, I burned love letters from someone long gone. Not out of anger. Just because it was time to let them go. And fire seemed a good way to add energy to a relationship that had been more air than anything else. I burned the cards and letters one by one in a small charcoal grill. The neigbors later said they thought I was cooking dinner for my sister. Days later, when everything had cooled, I poured the considerable ash pile into a part of the garden I hadn't planted yet and mixed ash with rich dirt. Then I planted these cosmos plants. There are buds already. Soon there will be red and white and purple and pink flowers, a good way to let go and honor at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful way to let something go. And keep the sunny memories -- the ones that need to be kept. Surrounded with beauty and the soul of nature.

    ReplyDelete